German American Events, LLC (GAE,LLC), a subsidiary organization of the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, Inc. (GACC Midwest), is currently seeking a talented and driven individual for an Assistant Manager opportunity.
German American Events, LLC organizes the annual Christkindlmarket, a large-scale German cultural event that attracts over a million visitors each year. Now in its 24th year, this outdoor event takes place on Daley Plaza in downtown Chicago as well as at satellite locations. The combined events boast over 90 diverse vendors offering unique gift items, food and drink in a nostalgic atmosphere.
Candidates for this position should have experience in sponsorship acquisition and multi-media event marketing/branding as well as a strong interest in planning, promoting and running large-scale events. A solid understanding and appreciation of German culture and holiday traditions would be of value. The Assistant Manager, Sponsorship & Event Activations will support a range of deliverables related to pre-event planning, event execution and wrap-up activities. The responsibilities will include daily tasks as well as special projects, which are subject to change from time to time. These will include but are not limited to the following:
- Meet revenue targets by sourcing and developing sales leads for new event sponsorship via targeted research and direct outreach as well as extensive networking activities. Additionally, identify and pursue renewed sponsorship opportunities with sponsors of previous Christkindlmarkets.
- Prepare and present customized proposals for sponsorship packages that meet the unique needs of each sponsor company. Work closely with potential sponsors to refine initial proposals based on their feedback. Negotiate and draft sponsorship contracts based on accepted proposals.
- Nurture positive relationships with event sponsors to ensure long-term partnerships and support, including maintaining regular correspondence year-round and providing detailed post-event sponsorship reports regarding the ROI of their sponsorship.
- Ensure the successful execution of contracted sponsorship benefits at all events, including planning and executing small sponsor related special events (sponsor outings, receptions, on-site promotional events at the markets, etc.)
- Support colleagues with sales of Stammtisch packages at the Christkindlmarket (reserved tables with various included food/drink options)
- Act as a host to visiting sponsors at face-to-face meetings, opening night receptions, Galas, and miscellaneous events; occasionally “meet and greet” at event sites.
- Support on-site operations at assigned market location(s), with a specific focus on brand awareness and recognition and obtaining valuable visitor and sponsor feedback.
- Ensure that all visitors and sponsors to the markets have a positive experience by providing exceptional customer service at all times and dealing effectively with any concerns or complaints.
- Ensure smooth and safe daily market operations: Manage staff, interns and volunteers, direct external contractors and address support requests from vendors.
- Properly document activities and contacts in company CRM System. File reports, maintain organization and handle other administrative duties as assigned.
- Assist in planning and monitoring event budgets.
- Analyze existing processes and structures and recommend/implement areas of improvement.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum 2-3 years progressive experience in sponsorship acquisition, event promotions and sales
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in the areas of Business Administration, Marketing or Event Management
- Comprehensive experience in special event planning, organization, and execution is strongly preferred; candidates without existing experience in large-scale events should have a strong interest in the field
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills and ability to connect with a variety of audiences including the general public, sponsors, event contractors, visitors, vendors, etc.
- Outgoing personality who is at ease in networking environments
- Strong knowledge of best practices related to the events industry
- Ability to prioritize and delegate to team members effectively while managing multiple projects concurrently; candidate should have a track record of producing high-quality output in a fast-paced environment
- Detail- and process-orientation
- Flexibility to work both independently as well as part of a team
- Experience with budgetary planning and oversight of financial record keeping, including handling payment administration (e.g. creating Purchase Orders, contracts, check requests, etc.)
- Candidates should be outgoing, energetic, friendly, able to work calmly under pressure, and possess great customer service skills
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and during the winter holidays
- Willingness to work outdoors on-site during event (between mid-November and New Year’s Eve)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint); skills with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop are desirable
- Experience using CRM systems in daily work is preferred
- The applicant must possess a current and valid driver’s license and must be willing to travel
- Ability to move objects (lift, push, pull, balance, carry) weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Candidates should ideally be open for future relocation to support new events organized by German American Events, LLC.
- German language abilities desirable but not required